What is Early College?
The Wexford-Missaukee Early College (WMEC) is a tuition free, 3-year early college program serving students who are registered full-time in public school districts participating in the Wexford-Missaukee Career Technical Center.
Students extend high school by one year and participate in an integrated sequence of high school and college courses during grades 11-13 while attending CTC and the post-secondary campus. students can earn up to an Associate Degree of Certificate in the outlined pathways.
The WMEC partners with Baker College of Cadillac, West Shore Community College and Northwestern Michigan College.
How Do I Apply?
- Students can apply to the WMEC beginning in the spring of their 10th grade year.
- Students must meet with their high school guidance counselor to submit application materials.
Who Can Apply?
- Students must meet the WMEC GPA requirements listed in the table below. GPA must be based on a minimum of 3 high school semesters.
- Qualifying PSAT scores can be used in place of GPA if accepted the by post-secondary partner.
- Students must be registered full-time in a public high school participating in CTC.
- Students must plan to enroll at CTC in a WMEC aligned program for their junior and senior year.
- Students must have permission to enroll from their home high school.
|Post-Secondary Partner||GPA||PSAT Reading/Writing||PSAT Math|
|Baker College of Cadillac||2.75||460||510|
|West Shore Community College||2.80||460||510|
|Northwestern Michigan College||3.30||Not Accepted||Not Accepted|
How Much Does it Cost?
- There is no out of pocket cost to students and their families for tuition, books, or fees during the 3 year program.
- Students who have not completed their Associate Degree/Certificate at the end of the 13th year can continue on at their own cost.
- The WMEC does not pay for coursework that must be repeated for any reason.
Where Are the Classes?
- During the junior and senior year, WMEC students spend half the day at their home high school and half the day at CTC.
- During the 13th year, WMEC students attend classes on the post-secondary campus. Students are responsible for transportation to the post-secondary campus in the 13th year.
Aligned CTC Programs and Post-Secondary Partners
Baker College of Cadillac
- Allied Health/Health Science Careers – Medical Assistant Certificate
- Business Management Administration – Associate of Business Degree Business Administration
- Computers, Networking, and Electronics Technology – Associate of Applied Science Degree General Studies – IT Concentration
- Hospitality, Retailing, and Entrepreneurship – Associate of Business Degree Business Administration
- Public Safety – Associate of Applied Science Degree Criminal Justice
West Shore Community College
- Manufacturing Technology – Precision Machining Technology Certificate or Associate Degree
- Metal Fabrication and Welding – Welding Certificate or Associate Degree
Northwestern Michigan College
- Computers, Networking, and Electronics Technology – Associate of Applied Science Degree Engineering Technology
Mrs. Meghan Howell, Early College Coordinator (231-876-4804) firstname.lastname@example.org